Recommended Level: JLPT N5-N3
A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar by The Japan Times is the first book in one of the most comprehensive resources for Japanese grammar available.
The book contains in-depth explanations in English and Japanese of approximately 200 grammatical points. These points make up the foundation of the Japanese language.
Organised alphabetically from ageru to zutsu, each grammar point has:
- A step-by-step breakdown
- Grammar and cultural notes to deepen understanding
- Many example sentences to demonstrate usage
- Comparisons to similar or related grammar points
The appendix contains a quick reference guide for difficult grammar concepts. This includes:
- Verbs/adjective conjugations,
- Transitive and intransitive verb pairs,
- Common and uncommon counters,
- And much more
Whether studying a textbook, taking a class or reading your favourite manga, this dictionary is the ideal companion, covering virtually all essential grammar concepts you are likely to encounter.
A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar – Scans
Other Japanese Resources
You can find a complete list of resources like this in the General Japanese Resources page.